Friday, February 24, 2012

Done!

So,  at 1:30, after some preliminary remarks from Michael Webster of Grand Valley State U, I presented my paper!  It went really well, I saw quite a few heads bobbing as I spoke (it's a good sign when academics twitch in unison).  The arrangement of papers was superb, even if I was a little bashful to go first.  The next paper, by April Fallon of Kentucky State U, concentrated on the little-explored territory of Cummings and surrealism.  Given the qualities of some of his erotic work (and other themes he employed), Surrealism is a great fit.  After that paper, came Gillian Huang-Tiller's "Armor Amoris" paper (as I've nicknamed it), which explored his use of sonnets for his erotica.  Sonnets are one of the sterotypical "formal" forms, so to see bawdy poems about strippers or prostitutes, or tender poems about lovers, strippers, or prostitutes done in that format continues to blow my mind.

The post-panel discussion was immensely fruitful, and I came away with several ideas to use in later research, including "ethical eroticism", a term I now realise I've been waiting for years to here!  I also want to investigate possibilities for queering the erotic Cummings poems.  It's always tricky to apply queer theories and lenses to writers you know were not queer, but I think the subcanon of Cummings' erotica could use some invigorating new perspectives.  And besides, the erotic truth of these poems always struck me - charges of misogyny are too simplistic when dealing with such a rich sexual consciousness.  Also, how sure are we that we're in a male speaker's head in some of these poems?  So much to consider, so much to think and write on!

It's 5 now, and I'm taking a little brain break before heading to the keynote speaker.  I may leave right after that, since I'm actually quite tired.  What a shame, I'm work out and it's only one day.  I feel like I should be at All The Panels, but after a while, one needs to decompress.  I'll go to the keynote, of course, try some last minute networking (hate that term, but whatchagonnado?) and get back to the Candlewood at a reasonable hour.  Maybe even post photos and watch cartoons before bed!  Then it's a 5:00 departure for the airport and a 6-something AM flight.  I'll be back in NJ around noon, and I think I'm going to need a long nap when I get home!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment